- What's New
Production Version 5.34
ROOT is available in binary and source form. The binaries are available for most supported platforms. The source is available as a tarball or from git and can easily be compiled on any supported platform/compiler combination.
For what is new in this version see the release notes.
- ROOT 5.34.21 complete source tree for all systems (72 MB).
After unpacking read "Installing ROOT From Source" or the file
- ROOT 5.34.21 classes html documentation compressed tar file (885 MB).
Users at CERN (or those having access to the CERN AFS cell) can also use ROOT directly from AFS. Versions for many different platforms and compilers are available at:
If you want to use PyROOT, you first have to setup your python environment to be sure to use the correct version of Python.
Now suppose you want use e.g. an optimized build of version 5.34.21 on an SLC5 machine with 64 bit and GCC 4.7. You need to set up both the compiler and ROOT.
Depending on the type of terminal you run:
. /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.7/x86_64-slc5/setup.sh . /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/5.34.21/x86_64-slc5-gcc47-opt/root/bin/thisroot.sh
. /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.7/x86_64-slc5/setup.sh cd /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/5.34.21/x86_64-slc5-gcc47-opt/root;. ./bin/thisroot.sh; cd -
source /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.7/x86_64-slc5/setup.csh source /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/5.34.21/x86_64-slc5-gcc47-opt/root/bin/thisroot.csh
Now start it by typing
To get 32bit binaries, simply replace x86_64 by i686 in above directories.
Note: Before downloading a binary version make sure your machine contains the right run-time environment. In most cases it is not possible to run a version compiled with, e.g., gcc 4.7 on a platform where only gcc 3.4 is installed. In such cases you'll have to install ROOT from source. See the configurations used to build the binaries below.
To install, unzip and untar the file do:
$ gunzip root_v5.34.21.Linux.slc5.gcc4.7.tar.gz $ tar xvf root_v5.34.21.Linux.slc5.gcc4.7.tar
This will create the directory root. Before getting started read the file
README/README. Remember, you can find the full documentation of the ROOT classes on this web site at the location Classes and Members. The distribution also contains all tutorials and a set of test programs.
- Linux RHEL 5 (SLC5) ia32 with gcc 4.3, version 5.34.21 (57 MB).
- Linux RHEL 5 (SLC5) x86-64 with gcc 4.3, version 5.34.21 (57 MB).
- Linux RHEL 6 (SLC6) x86-64 with gcc 4.4, version 5.34.21 (55 MB).
- Linux RHEL 6 (SLC6) x86-64 with gcc 4.7, version 5.34.21 (57 MB).
- Linux RHEL 6 (SLC6) x86-64 with gcc 4.8, version 5.34.21 (57 MB).
- OSX 10.9 x86-64 with clang 5.1, version 5.34.21 (56 MB).
The older 10.7 and 10.8 binaries require XQuartz.
Windows 7/Vista/XP/NT/2000 are supported. We offer two packaging types:
- MSI: a regular Windows installer package also setting up the required environment variables. With uninstall via "Control Panel" / "Add or Remove Programs". Simply download and start, or open directly. You can double-click ROOT to start it, ROOT files get registered with Windows.
- tar: the traditional variant. Unpack e.g. with 7zip. Start ROOT in a Microsoft Visual Studio Prompt (in Start / Programs / Microsoft Visual Studio / Tools). If you installed ROOT to C:\root then call C:\root\bin\thisroot.bat before using ROOT to set up required environment variables.
Important installation notes:
- Do not untar in a directory with a name containing blank characters.
- Take the release version if performance matters.
- If you want to debug your code you need the debug version of Windows (you cannot mix release / debug builds due to a Microsoft restriction).
- You need MS VC++ ≥ 8 for the VC++ 9 build, MS VC++ 10 for the VC++ 10 build, and MS VC++ 11 (2012) for the VC++ 11 build. For information, there is a no-cost version of Visual Studio.
- If you don't know which one to take: the bold versions are recommended.
|VC++ 9||MSI (65.9 MB)
tar (66.1 MB)
|MSI (157 MB)
tar (158 MB)
|VC++ 10||MSI (69 MB)
tar (69 MB)
|MSI (146 MB)
tar (147 MB)
|VC++ 11 (2012)||MSI (72 MB)
tar (72 MB)
|MSI (160 MB)
tar (162 MB)
Note that the performance of cygwin/gcc binaries being very poor, we don't provide this build anymore. The ROOT team will not answer any messages related to problems with the win32gcc version. For more information see these web and ftp sites.