Hello Claudia, Hello Axel,
I've started an effort to make MinGW compile Root. Unfortunately my knowledge of the Root build system is very limited, so in order to properly integrate everything, somebody of the Root core members should have a look. So far I have made the target 'rootlibs' work. In doing so I didn't take care of the build system, I just daffed aside all compilation/linking hurdles...
The following is a step by step description (though not in perfect detail) of how I built the root libraries (make target 'rootlibs') with MinGW. Note: on my system Cygwin is _not_ installed.
1) install mingw-3.1.0-1 to c:\mingw
2) install msys-1.0.10 to c:\msys
I found that the regular expression functionality is missing under MinGW. So I built it with MingW from source (without problems):
3) build regex-0.12 from source
- cp dlfcn.h /c/mingw/include
- cp libregex.a /c/mingw/lib
I need freetype for my purpose but couldn't make the builtin version work, probably because of problems with the build system...
4) built freetype-2.1.9 from source
- 'make install' should install to c/msys/local/(bin|include/freetype2|lib)
- additionally cp ftbuild2.h c/msys/local/include/freetype2 (this is necessary, if I remember correctly)
Copy the Root files I've modified (get it from here
) over your root v5.04.00 sources:
5) cp -r root-5.04.00-mingw root-5.04.00
I had problems building the 'afterimage' library with MinGW, so I left it away. I simply changed the 'win32gcc' architecture to my needs. In fact it is a melange between 'win32gcc' and 'win32'. (By the way: what exactly is the difference between 'architecture' and 'platform'? Trying to understand the logic behind the build system these terms confused me.) Hence the configure statement looks like this:
6) configure win32gcc --disable-builtin-freetype --disable-builtin-afterimage --disable-asimage
7) make rootlibs