This version restores zlib as the default compression algorithm for ROOT files. We have seen branch data that LZ4 did not compress well; until those cases are optimized, ROOT will resort to its well understood, traditional compression algorithm zlib.
The release notes for this release can be found here.
Installations in CVMFS
Standalone installations with minimal external dependencies are available at:
/cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.14.04/x86_64-mac1013-clang91-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.14.04/x86_64-fedora27-gcc72-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.14.04/x86_64-fedora26-gcc72-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.14.04/x86_64-fedora28-gcc81-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.14.04/x86_64-centos7-gcc48-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.14.04/x86_64-ubuntu17-gcc72-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.14.04/x86_64-ubuntu18-gcc73-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.14.04/x86_64-ubuntu14-gcc48-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.14.04/x86_64-ubuntu16-gcc54-opt
Example for setting up ROOT and the corresponding compiler from CVMFS
. /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/contrib/gcc/4.8/x86_64-centos7-gcc48-opt/setup.sh . /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.14.04/x86_64-centos7-gcc48-opt/root/bin/thisroot.sh
The entire ROOT source can be obtained from our public Git repository:
git clone http://github.com/root-project/root.git
The release specific tag can be obtained using:
cd root git checkout -b v6-14-04 v6-14-04
We offer two packaging types:
- exe: a regular Windows installer package also setting up the required environment variables. With uninstall via "Control Panel" / "Add or Remove Programs". Simply download and start, or open directly. You can double-click ROOT to start it, ROOT files get registered with Windows.
- zip: the traditional variant. Unpack e.g. with 7zip. Start ROOT in a Microsoft Visual Studio Prompt (in Start / Programs / Microsoft Visual Studio / Tools). If you installed ROOT to C:\root then call C:\root\bin\thisroot.bat before using ROOT to set up required environment variables.
Important installation notes
- You must download the binary built with the exact same version of Visual Studio than the one installed on your system.
- Do not untar in a directory with a name containing blank characters.
- Take the release version if performance matters.
- If you want to debug your code you need the ROOT debug build (you cannot mix release / debug builds due to a Microsoft restriction).