TProofOutputFile on LSF

Dear experts!

UPD: after yet another restart of the server the problem solved itself :slight_smile: I get the files to the local directory. (For somw reason I have to merge them manually with hadd, but that’s not very hard :slight_smile:

I’m trying to run PoD 3.16 on lxplus using LSF. After first try, I realized, that my output is too big and I need to store it locally on workers, so I tried to implement the tip from http://pod.gsi.de/doc/nightly/Tips.html about TProofOutputFile usage.

When running on PoD the files “BCut0.0.root”, “BCut.0.1.root”, … are created in the specified directory but are empty. I’ve checked my implementation with Proof-Lite and TProof::AddEnvVar("LOCALDATASERVER", "file://"); and it produces files with histograms in them and merges them.

I added the line “xrd.rootd allow” to xrd configuration and I see it in .PoD/log/PoDServer/xpd.log

Extracts from my Selector:

void SlaveBegin(){
        proof_file = new TProofOutputFile("BCut<ord>.root", "M");
        proof_file->SetOutputFileName("/afs/cern.ch/user/d/dmironov/my_afs/selector/BCut<ord>.root");

fOutput->Add(proof_file);

if (!(local_file = proof_file->OpenFile("RECREATE"))) {
	   Warning("SlaveBegin", "problems opening file: %s/%s",
	   proof_file->GetDir(), proof_file->GetFileName());
	}

}

void SlaveTerminate()
{
        local_file->cd();

TIter out_iter(histos);
        while(TObject* out = out_iter()){
                out->Write();
        }
        proof_file->Print();
        local_file->Close();
}

In one of workers logs I have: <TProofOutputFile::Print>: dir: rootd://dmironov@b62fe9cf02.cern.ch:21001//pool/lsf/dmironov/621989453.3/PoDWorker_6qrrBnoVoW/proof/dmironov/session-lxplus0033-1423747505-790/worker-0.0-b62fe9cf02-1423747506-21684/

When I manually try TFile *rb = TFile::Open("rootd://dmironov@b62fe9cf02.cern.ch:21001//pool/lsf/dmironov/621989453.3/PoDWorker_6qrrBnoVoW/proof/dmironov/session-lxplus0033-1423747505-790/worker-0.0-b62fe9cf02-1423747506-21684/BCut0.0.root")

I get

SysError in <TUnixSystem::UnixTcpConnect>: connect (b62fe9cf02.cern.ch:21001) (Connection refused)
Error in <TFTP::TFTP>: can't open connection to rootd on host b62fe9cf02.cern.ch at port 21001
SysError in <TUnixSystem::UnixTcpConnect>: connect (b62fe9cf02.cern.ch:21001) (Connection refused)
Error in <TNetFile::TNetFile>: can't open connection to rootd on host b62fe9cf02.cern.ch at port 21001
Error in <TNetFile::Create>: authentication attempt unsuccessful
Error in <TNetFile::Create>: failing on file rootd://dmironov@b62fe9cf02.cern.ch:21001//pool/lsf/dmironov/621989453.3/PoDWorker_6qrrBnoVoW/proof/dmironov/session-lxplus0033-1423747505-790/worker-0.0-b62fe9cf02-1423747506-21684/BCut0.0.root

I attach a bit cleaned version of xpd.log

Do you have any ideas, how can I get my output to master?
xpd.log.txt (41.6 KB)

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.
Did you find in the master log any of those failed connection attempts?
Where did you out exactly ‘xpd.rootd allow’ ?
My suspicion is that this is not taken into account, for some reason.

G. Ganis

Dear community!

Let me post a workaround here, since I have received an email with this question.

I ended up avoiding usage of TProofOutputFile completely. Instead, I’ve used a usual TFile and let PROOF to deal with that itself. I add histos to fOutput.

I have a special function to get them:

and so I fill them like

This is the Terminate function, where all the things are written:

[code]void BEventsSelector::Terminate()
{
cout << endl;

local_file = new TFile(output_file_name->Data(), "RECREATE"); 

local_file->cd();

TIter out_iter(fOutput);
	while(TObject* out = out_iter()){
	    if (TString(out->GetName()).BeginsWith("PROOF")) continue;
		if (out->IsA() != TH1F::Class()) continue;
		TH1F * h = dynamic_cast<TH1F*>(out);
		h->Write();
		//h->SetDirectory(0);
	}

local_file->Close();

}[/code]

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Dima

Dear dmironov,

Alternatively you can do:

proof->Process(dataset, "BEventsSelector.C+", "of=myoutput.root")

See root.cern.ch/handling-outputs#outputfile .

G Ganis