ROOT v6.06.02 on Ubuntu 14.04

All problems [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/root-v6-06-00-on-ubuntu-14-04/20334/1 3 months ago for ROOT v6.06.00 on Ubuntu 14.04[/url] are still present:

1. system ftgl not checked ("-Dbuiltin_ftgl=OFF" needed)
  2. system glew not checked ("-Dbuiltin_glew=OFF" needed)
  3. “chmod a-x bin/setxrd.* bin/thisroot.*” needed
  4. “bin/memprobe” script broken
  5. geocad not found (and if forced ON, one needs to set OCC_INCLUDE_DIR, too)
  6. source code tree left “polluted” with “root-6.06.02/interpreter/llvm/src/utils/llvm-build/llvmbuild/*.pyc” files

In general agreed bugs or missing features need to be written in terms of JIRA tickets to have a proper tracebility. So, I would recommend for next time to be more systematic in entering JIRA tickets for each of the agreed problems.

The default value for these options in ON. The reason is that we avoid more problems (version compatibility) if we use the bundled versions. I think is the prerogative of the development team to choose the default values that serves more widely the community.

I was perhaps confused on this one. I understood that what was needed was ‘a+x’. And this is what is there now. Why do you want to remove the executable flag for all?

Fixed now. See https://sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-7867

I re-open the case sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-7480

I thought that the workaround with the variable PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE was good enough for you. We try to minimise changes in the llvm build instructions that we will need to maintain ourselves. In any case I have created the JIRA ticket: sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-8067

All four “bin/setxrd." and "bin/thisroot.” files are NOT executables. These files are expected to be “sourced” in the current shell environment (hence “chmod a-x”).

[quote]All four “bin/setxrd." and "bin/thisroot.” files are NOT executables. These files are expected to be “sourced” in the current shell environment (hence “chmod a-x”).
[/quote]
You are right. A fix can be provided asap. Created sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-8068