A new production version ROOT v5-24-00b has been released Oct 11, 2009.
Binary tar balls are not available for patch releases.
The AFS version of v5-24-00b for many different platforms and compilers can be found at:
The complete source tree for all systems (23.5 MB) is available here:
Alternatively get the source from Subversion (broken) using:
svn co http://root.cern.ch/svn/root/tags/v5-24-00b root
After obtaining the source read the file README/INSTALL (in short just do: cd root; ./configure; make).
To get the source of the head of the v5-24-00-patches branch do:
svn co http://root.cern.ch/svn/root/branches/v5-24-00-patches root
Changes in the head of the v5-24-00-patches branch
- Fix sandbox access violation in Gentoo when running ./configure.
- On MacOS X determine correct ROOTSYS in case libCore.so is a symlink (as was already done on Linux systems).
- TDCacheFile: dCap client does not ignore ?filetype=raw and other options, so remove it. Fixes issue #57409.
- TDCacheFile: increase readahead size from 8k to 128k and make it settable via DCACHE_RA_BUFFER env var.
- TDCacheFile: fix regression which caused dcap://host:port/path to fail.
- Make long and long long equivalent. Make vector<long> and vector<long long> equivalent (and hence suppress: TStreamerInfo::BuildOld:0: RuntimeWarning: Cannot convert DataHeaderElement_p2::m_Hashes from type:vector<unsigned long long> to type:vector<unsigned long>, skip element )
- Fix TStreamerInfo::CompareContent to properly look at only persistent members and to properly match members.
- Allow streaming of base classes with an external streamer and Reflex dictionaries (r31300, issue #59093)
- Avoid spurrious warning message when reading file produced by ROOT v5.27 and above.
- Avoid spurrious warning message when reading file with a TTree writen with ROOT 5.29/03 or later:
Warning in <:compile>: Counter fNClusterRange should not be skipped from class TTree
- CINT's limits.h was exposing a CINT-only preprocessor expression to external preprocessors (r30669, issue #56225)
- Remove the artificial methods Streamer() and StreamerNVirtual() injected by Cintex. They were causing an overhead for I/O and Streamer() was introducing a vtable. (r31078)
- Flag the artificial method ShowMembers() injected by Cintex as virtual only if the class already has a vtable. Otherwise CINT believes there is a vtable where there isn't. (r31078, issue #58277)
- Allow softlinks when locating genreflex.py (r31535 r31544 r31557 r31564, issue #59896)
- Work around warning "cast from pointer-to-function and pointer to object" in some Reflex dictionaries. (r32074 r32091, bug #61758)
- Explicitely add include path for the openssl headers to avoid problems on some systems (e.g. kubuntu)
- Extend support for Globus installations coming with Debian/Fedora/EPE
- Fix a problem in XrdProofdProofServ::FreeClientID (fix for issue #57061).
- Disable the read and write cache when merging Trees in the "fastclone" mode.
- Remove serious slow down in some cases of reading TTrees where some of the data member has been 'removed' form the current class layout.
- Fix a problem with the xrootd build when running make via 'sudo' (issue [Bad link]).
- Fix a problem with the detection of libreadline and lib(n)curses (fixes issue with CentOS on the forum, affecting probably all the distributions of the Red-Hat family installing readline).
- Add support for OpenSSL 1.0.0 (required by new linux distributions, e.g. Fedora 12).
- Fix for issue [Bad link] and [Bad link].
Changes in version v5-24-00b (Oct 11, 2009)
- Fix a problem in default constructor of TH2 and TH3, issue #56712
Changes in version v5-24-00a (Oct 8, 2009)
- MacOS X Snow Leopard
- Support for 32-bit build on 64-bit Snow Leopard.
- gcc 4.4.1
- Add support for gcc 4.4.1 (gcc guys did not fix issue reported in 4.4.0 for 4.4.1).
- Add support for native recursive mutexes (pthread and Win32) and remove not satisfactory generic recursive implementation.
- Remove support for older pthread versions (PthreadDraftVersion < 10), all modern systems support version 10 now.
- Fix a couple of memory leaks showing up when running repeated queries in PROOF-Lite
- Fix several issues in TProofOutputFile showing up in particular in PROOF-Lite
- Import workaround r29504. This allows to setup xproofd to serve in optimized way multiple ROOT version independently of the fix in the TTreeCache initialization (patch 29126).
- Fix a problem with TProofServ::CopyFromCache potentially slowing down session start-up in PROOF-Lite with compiled selectors.
- In TDataSetManager::ScanDataSet in browse mode, show by default only users' datasets instead of all
- In TDataSetManagerFile, import fixes 29171:
- Correctly classify as TTree all TTree derived classes (e.g. TNtuple's)
- Fix a problem in saving the end-point URL for local files
- Fix realtime notification during 'verify'
- In TFileMerger, fix file descriptor leak (bug #54591)
- In TPacketizerAdaptive and TPacketizer, import change 30574 removing, as default, the limit on the number of workers accessing a given file server
- In XrdProofdManager, import fix 30573 to fix the behaviour of the xpd.allowedusers directive
- Fix to detect the correct version of (krb5_c_)valid_cksumtype
- fix due to TString(int) ctor now being explicit.
- Fix tab completion for the case.
root  .x tutorials/ [TAB]
- Add support for skipping the reading of the $HOME/<name> (e.g. $HOME/.rootrc) resource file. To do this set the shell variable ROOTENV_NO_HOME. This might be useful in case the home directory resides on an automounted remote file system and one wants to avoid this file system from being mounted. Fix for issue [Bad link].
- In TUnixSystem::GetLinuxProcInfo(), make sure that the file is valid before using it. Fixes occasional segv observed in PROOF.
- In TUnixSystem and TWinNTSystem, change the dynamic library search order. First look into LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or PATH on Windows) and then in what is specified in Root.DynamicPath. This allows by changing LD_LIBRARY_PATH to search for alternative versions of plugins without changing the rootrc file(s).
- Fix in root-config a problem with relative symbolic links.
- Change TExMap hash, key and values from (U)Long_t to (U)Long64_t. This makes TExMap streamable in a portable way. On 64-bit platforms there is no difference, but on 32-bit platforms all values will now be 64-bit. This fixes a big portability issue with THnSparse which uses TExMap internally where the versions created on a 32-bit platform could not be read on a 64-bit platform and vice versa.
- Fix tab completion for the case.
- Speed up the dictionary initialization: nlogn instead of n^2 (r29296, issue #52457).
- Fix the implementation of ShowMembers in the case where the members of a class with a genreflex dictionary are of type with a rootcint dictionary and no genreflex dictionary.
- genreflex: generate the correct ClassDef function implementations for templated classes in namespaces (r29489).
- Insure that the TTreeCloner (fast merging) is able to also copy 'uninitialized' TStreamerInfo describing abstract classes (This fixed savannah report #52856)
- Enhance support for reading class (A) stored in a vector where one the member is no longer part of the current class layout (of class A) and the member is a class type .
- Repair nesting of 'named' TTreeFormula (issue #53994).
- Fix the initialization of the checksum information for a TSchemaRule (hence fixing the lookup based on checksum)
- In TFile, import fix 30170 to retrieve the correct local file name (inclusive of prefix) in TFile::Open()
- Increase the stack size to 4Mb (default is 1Mb) on Windows.
- ix a problem when generating ROOT resource version from ROOT_RELEASE when it contains 00 (e.g. 5.24.00).
- Fix a bug in the projection of TH3 when calling the method more than one time (issue https://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?53038).
- Fix the building when using OpenMP (issue https://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?52666).
- Add a protection against very small step sizes which can cause nan values in InitialGradientCalculator
- Fix a compilation error when compiling with -DDEBUG
- Fix a bug when exiting from MnFunctionCross when the minimum was invalid
- Fix a problem in Minuit2Minimizer restoring ROOT error level after fitting
- Fixes in TMinuitMinimizer: issue #54279 and forcing the use of gradient functions when requested
- Fix for issue [Bad link].
- Fix for persistence of RooDataHist
- Fix in RooProfileLL: save and restore values of profiled parameters when finding global minimum
- Fix in RooDataHist in handling of weights in set()
- Fix in RooRealIntegral in forwarding of normaliztion set in createIntegral()
- Fix in import of multiple weighted datasets in RooDataSet
- Fix for correct handling of nevt=0 cases in RooMCStudy of a p.d.f in extended mode
- Fix in constructor of RooSimultaneous
- Fix in product generator context - Generate uniform distribution of non-dependent observables
- Fix in copy constructor of RooDataHist
- Fix a bug in the constructor of FeldmanCousins.cxx
- Improve the LikelihoodInterval::LowerLimit() and UpperLimit()
- Fix RooStatUtils::SetParameters (see http://root.cern.ch/viewvc?view=rev&revision=29521 )
- Fix a problem in ProfileLikelihoodCalculator::GetHypoTest() when there are no nuisance parameters
- In TFileStager, import fix 30170 introducing a check on the locality of the path when initializing a TFileStager implementation; this allows to avoid blocking when testing a local path with "root://" protocol
- Fix a problem in XrdClientAdmin::Prepare preventing bulk prepare requests to work correctly
- In XrdClient, import fixes in XrdClientVector, bulk prepare, cache handling.
- Use static look-up tables for the indices of symmetric matrices
- Remove a warning observed on some platform in the Cholesky decomposition
- Fix for issue #56057
- Add dictionary for functions in VectorUtil.h