Release 6.22/00 - 2020-07-02
The all new PyROOT is now the default PyROOT! It’s a major upgrade, bringing much improved C++ support, and in generally more “pythonic” than the previous version. It’s based on cppyy which in turn is based on ROOT’s cling (and a bit more from ROOT). See also the PyROOT section in the release notes.
There is more major python news: ROOT can now be built against Python3 and Python2 at the same time, creating the necessary libraries for
import ROOT to work from both
python3, for a single ROOT build. Most of the binaries below now offer this.
RooFit has some nice improvements, such as
workspace.Import(...) for Python, and
myRooCategory["electron"] = 1 for Python and C++, and type-safe proxies. See the relevant release notes section for details.
TMVA has seen an extension of its Deep Learning module by adding support for LSTM and GRU Recurrent layers; all all recurrent layers (LSTM, GRU, and simple RNN) are now implemented for GPUs with the cuDNN library.
We have invested a lot of time in fixing many of the bugs that you found: thank you for these reports!
The release notes for this release can be found here.
Installations in CVMFS
Standalone installations with minimal external dependencies are available at:
/cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.22.00/x86_64-centos7-gcc48-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.22.00/x86_64-fedora30-gcc93-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.22.00/x86_64-fedora31-gcc93-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.22.00/x86_64-fedora32-gcc101-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.22.00/x86_64-mac1013-clang100-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.22.00/x86_64-mac1014-clang100-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.22.00/x86_64-mac1015-clang110-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.22.00/x86_64-ubuntu16-gcc54-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.22.00/x86_64-ubuntu18-gcc75-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.22.00/x86_64-ubuntu19-gcc92-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.22.00/x86_64-ubuntu20-gcc93-opt
Example for setting up ROOT from CVMFS
The entire ROOT source can be obtained from our public Git repository:
git clone https://github.com/root-project/root.git
The release specific tag can be obtained using:
cd root git checkout -b v6-22-00 v6-22-00
Windows 10/7/… are supported. We offer two packaging types:
- exe: a regular Windows installer package also setting up the required environment variables. With uninstall via “Control Panel” / “Add or Remove Programs”. Simply download and start. You can double-click ROOT to run it; ROOT files get registered with Windows.
- tar: unpack e.g. with 7zip. Start ROOT in a Microsoft Visual Studio Prompt (in Start / Programs / Microsoft Visual Studio / Tools). If you installed ROOT to C:\root then call C:\root\bin\thisroot.bat before using ROOT to set up required environment variables.
Important installation notes
- You must download the binary built with the exact same version of Visual Studio than the one installed on your system.
- Do not untar in a directory with a name containing blank characters.
- Take the release version if performance matters.
- If you want to debug your code you need the ROOT debug build (you cannot mix release / debug builds due to a Microsoft restriction).