Release 6.28/04 - 2023-05-07
This opatch release includes important improvements, including support for
- GCC 13
- Xcode 14
- macOS 13.3
It also introduces preliminary, non-production support for C++20: please report any issues you see with ROOT while migrating your software to C++20, so we as a community can make progress quickly.
The release notes for this release can be found here.
Installations in CVMFS
Standalone installations with minimal external dependencies are available at:
/cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.28.04/arm64-mac117-clang120-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.28.04/arm64-mac126-clang140-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.28.04/arm64-mac133-clang140-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.28.04/x86_64-centos8-gcc85-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.28.04/x86_64-fedoraversion_id=36-gcc122-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.28.04/x86_64-mac117-clang120-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.28.04/x86_64-mac126-clang140-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.28.04/x86_64-mac133-clang140-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.28.04/x86_64-ubuntu18-gcc75-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.28.04/x86_64-ubuntu20-gcc94-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.28.04/x86_64-ubuntu22-gcc113-opt
The entire ROOT source can be obtained from our public Git repository:
git clone https://github.com/root-project/root.git
The release specific tag can be obtained using:
cd root git checkout -b v6-28-04 v6-28-04
Windows 10/7/… are supported. We offer two packaging types:
- exe: a regular Windows installer package also setting up the required environment variables. With uninstall via “Control Panel” / “Add or Remove Programs”. Simply download and start. You can double-click ROOT to run it; ROOT files get registered with Windows.
- tar: unpack e.g. with 7zip. Start ROOT in a Microsoft Visual Studio Prompt (in Start / Programs / Microsoft Visual Studio / Tools). If you installed ROOT to C:\root then call C:\root\bin\thisroot.bat before using ROOT to set up required environment variables.
Important installation notes
- You must download the binary built with the exact same version of Visual Studio than the one installed on your system.
- Do not untar in a directory with a name containing blank characters.
- Take the release version if performance matters.
- If you want to debug your code you need the ROOT debug build (you cannot mix release / debug builds due to a Microsoft restriction).